What kinds of things are especially damaging for children during divorce?
It is damaging to children when:
- children do not get to spend enough nurturing time with both parents
- parents threaten to send children away or to leave children if they do not behave
- parents use children to carry angry messages back and forth
- children are made to believe that one parent is good and the other is bad
- children don’t feel free to love both parents and also step-parents
- parents do not prepare children for changes that will occur
- parents burden children with adult problems like finances and legal matters
- parents expect children to comfort them instead of seeking adult relationships
- parents neglect their own needs and/or the needs of the children by overwhelming themselves with the entire responsibility of raising the children, instead of encouraging the other to share in this responsibility.
If you or your children are experiencing these kinds of issues, you may need to see a psychologist or family counsellor. Please contact us if you would like to discuss the best course of action.